Friday, October 09, 2026

Rise up, little sister

 
Let me speak to you
About some of the people
Living in my head
 
Together in that bubble
They have come up
With great ideas and 
Often with nothing or
Nothing but a mess 
Overwhelming chaos
Made me think I was mental 
Surely, all of them swim and dive 
Demand to be heard
I often wondered
How to keep them in check
I admit, by now
I’ve kind of given up on that
 
I've grown into a parent, grandparent rather
Watching them quarrel, knowingly
They will quiet down eventually
Fall asleep, exhausted by themselves
The entire lot of them
I feel for them compassion 
Accepting them 
I feel for them love
 
There is that old and cranky one
He is a complainer, is always sick
He prefers to live on the couch and do nothing
I used to fight him, by now I feel softer
 
And his wife, she always knows better
Sends me to check bills and duties
Sends me off to study and work 
Likes counting and certificates
Likes to clean and declutter
Especially when I am not up for it
 
They have a son, he drinks like a pig
I would do too with parents like that
And his sister, she always gets mad
At me for not showing up
To family gatherings and funerals
 
She has a baby, who keeps crying
At the top of that tiny lung
For not being born
 
And a little brother, who likes to play
But never speaks up
He is a class clown, nobody knows 
He keeps his jokes a secret
Mostly because his father is a perfectionist
No joke is good enough for him, he never laughs 
 
He has an elder cousin, let's call him 
The regretful one, he regrets his entire life
Every decision, he even regrets 
Knowing people, he regrets
Friendships and relationships and opening up
To anyone - vulnerability hangover maxed out
This is also where resentment lives 
They have a sister, who has gone into mourning
Not just about death, but about the pointlessness 
Of existence and humanity drowning itself
In war, in terror, torture and pain 
She has lost her words and weeps without end
Every minute, every second is hurting
Unending torment 
 
There is that aunt, quiet and studious
Who prefers to live in books
We don’t know much about her
But they say that she has many grand ideas
If she was not reading all the time
She would be an inventor 
I think she lives in shame and also in guilt
Because her twin-sister, who was a curious child
Would have been innovative, a creator, always anew
If her curiosity had not led her 
To the edge of that cliff
She fell down and died 
 
Their mother is forgetful, better she is
She keeps all the memories 
And secrets, also the ugly ones 
I keep the key to her vault concealed 
Inside a voiceless song - quietly she walks along
 
Her father is a chameleon, he likes to dress up
Play pretend, he likes glitter, lipstick, jewelry
Fast cars and designer clothes
Sex, drugs and temerity, the rush
Nothing stops him, he is reckless, no shame, no regrets
No meditation, mindfulness, ha, he spurns
Every thought of that, nothing and no one can police him
Can you imagine, his brother is quiet, pure and innocent? 
I wonder which of the two would instigate a rebellion 
Isn't it time for an uprising?! I guess, both of them would 
Liberation and freedom for all! 
Every single one of them!
 
I also have an elder brother, he doesn't exist but
I always wished he did, he makes me feel
Safe and at home and good 
He shows up when there is need for a friend 
He lets me be 
His little sister
The one I never was, I always was the elder one 
Serious, grown up, responsible
How to live up to that? 
 
Then there are those crazy uncles
They say they are good for nothing
They will always be kids 
Two daydreamers who live in the woods
Play with wild animals and swim in rivers
Dive head down into waterfalls 
One is a painter, a musician the other
I wished they’d get more credit for that
 
They have a cousin, an adventurer
She travels the world and fights for justice, too
She is fierce and independent, powerful 
Speaks many languages
Without learning the words, she just knows
She is always broke
She doesn't care for riches 
 
Another cousin lives in a cave
He prefers darkness and winter
They say, he harbours some wisdom
Writes poetry, sometimes
He won’t come out for weeks
His sister is a dancer, she often tries
To convince him to join her to a club
He never gives in and sometimes goes mad
Luckily, she has a good neighbour, who likes to jump in
 
She is a teacher with a wide-open heart
And a good rhythm, her husband though is a hater
Nothing and nobody could live up to his
Expectations, he enjoys to instil fear, guilt and violence
He thrives on other people's pain 
I think that runs in the family 
His sister is into slander, she tells things
Mostly about me, that I haven’t even thought of yet
She also likes to point her finger at my failures 
 
She has a daughter, the daughter though is kind 
She is pure love 
Dreams to be a writer
Or a journalist, maybe a photographer
Rise up, little sister 
Most importantly, she wants to move out
 
I have a lot of sympathy for her
I also would want to 
Move out of my head
 
(I forgot the fearful one
The frightened one, the terror
Paranoia in her heart and head 
Consistently scans the dark 
For thugs and threats
She is terrified of life 
Better not speak about that)